strawberry layer cake with black bean chocolate cream
organic, vegan layer cake
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. lupin flour
- 1/2 cup date sugar or 4 dates chopped or 1/3 cup liquid sweetener such as maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. apple sauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup aqua faba
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. apple cinder vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 3 tbsp. apple sauce
- hand full of shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp. almond or peanut butter
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla powder
- 1 mashed banana
- some strawberries and blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
Prepare a small baking dish with just a small amount of extra virgin olive oil spread on the bottom and sides, and evenly dusting it with corn flour, or any other flour.
2. For the cake, combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
3. With an electric whisk or beater, whip the aqua faba and cream of tartar until it looks peaky (usually about 2 to 3 minutes). When I make it, 1/3 cup aqua faba ends up being 2 cups after I whisk it.
4. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. When adding the beaten aqua faba, mix it slowly.
5. Put the batter in the baking dish and bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden brown.
6. When the cake is done, let it cool for at least 1 hour before adding the topping. When it has cooled down, cut the cake into 3 equal size layers.
7. To make the topping, combine all the ingredients except for the mashed banana and berries and mix in a food processor until combined into a smooth cream.
8. On the bottom layer of the cake, equally spread the mashed banana and a layer of halved strawberries. Now place the second layer and equally spread half of the black bean cream and another layer of halved strawberries. Lastly decorate the cake with the left over black bean cream and berries.
You can enjoy the cake right away, but it will also keep well in the fridge for a few days. Sometimes it's even more flavorful the next day.