matcha braided brioche
vegan matcha brioche
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup almond milk or other plant milk
- 1/2 cup aqua faba
- 20g fresh yeast
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- sprinkle of sea salt
- optional: 2 tsp. matcha powder or 1 tsp. matcha powder + 1 tsp. spirulina powder
1. Heat the milk of your choice to slightly above room temperature and add the yeast. Wait until it gets bubbly (about 15 minutes).
2. Combine all the flour, salt and baking powder in a dish.
3. Put the aqua faba in a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer for about 1 minute, then add the yeast/milk mixture and maple syrup and continue mixing for another 30 seconds. Add half of the flour and mix until everything is well combined.
4. Add the remaining flour and knead the dough until it stops sticking to the sides of the bowl.
5. Add the melted coconut oil and knead until the dough is smooth and stops sticking to your hand.
6. If you want the brioche to have 2 different colors, separate the dough into 2 equal parts. Add the matcha and/or spirulina powder to one half and knead until well combined. Place each dough in a separate dish and cover with a cloth. Let them rise for 1 1/2 - 2 hours in a warm place.
7. Otherwise, put the dough in a dish, cover it with a cloth and let it rise for 1 1/2 - 2 hours in a warm place.
8. When the dough has risen to twice its original size, gently punch it down.
9. If you did not use the matcha powder, separate the dough into 4 equal parts. If you did used the matcha powder and made 2 different types of dough, separate each of them into 2 equal parts. Either way you should have 4 equal parts of dough in the end.
10. Roll each dough into approx. 16 inch length rolls. Line up the rolls next to each other and lightly pinch together one end. Braid the dough in a 4-way braid.
11. You can either bake the brioche on a baking tray or in a bread tin.
Put the braided dough on the baking tray or in the oiled/floured baking dish, cover with a cloth and let rise for another 1 1/2 -2 hours or until twice the size.
12. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
13. Mix 1 tbsp. of aqua faba with 1 tsp. of maple syrup and apply to braided dough, for a shiny top.
14. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
15. Take the brioche out of the bread tin or off the baking tray and let it cool on a rack.